Latest Profiles
recent

Meet the young wonderful OWOADE ADEWALE an Undergraduate & CEO of ARTBEAT AFRIKA

OWOADE ADEWALE is an undergraduate student of University of Ilorin, where he studies History and International studies, even as an undergraduate he is one of the greatest creative and talented writers in Nigeria and this has prompted him to start pursuing his dream by introducing ARTBEAT AFRIKA, lets see how he has done it for his write ups to have been used both in and out of the country in journals and Magazines…OWOADE

COLLEGE PROFILES:Please can we meet you sir?

OWOADE:Yes. I am Owoade Adewale Adewumi, Owoade is my family’s name, Adewale is my
name and Adewumi is my late father’s name. I am a student of…
History and International Studies at the University of Ilorin and I write poetry at night.

COLLEGE PROFILES: That cool you know,but can we know little about your background?

OWOADE:Unlike most of my contemporaries, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon. My father who hails from Ogbomoso was a clearing and forwarding agent and my mother is a trader. I was born in Owode Egbado Ogun State and that was where I had my primary and Secondary Education too.

COLLEGE PROFILES: Hmmmmm,that pretty cool but sir, when did you discover you could write?

OWOADE:
I’ve been writing since I cannot remember. But Creative writing? I can remember vividly when that happened and that was because I wasn’t born with the talent. I was first interested in Literature before I got involved in it and I wrote my first serious poem in 2010, before then, I have been trying my hands in play wirtting and I think it was one of my attempt to imitate Shakespeare got me into poetry.  That’s why I always say, my venture into poetry is accidental. After that encounter, I found writing poetry more interesting than any other genre. In 2011, I started serious poetry writing, while working as A Secondary School Librarian.

COLLEGE PROFILES:
Interesting!…..but as a writer what are your area of specialization?

OWOADE:
If you say specialization as a writer, I will interpret it as genre. I think I am good in poetry and short stories. I have history in play-writing and promising encounters with essays. My early works were fashioned towards negritude and now I am paying more attention to the mood in contemporary Africa thereby neglecting negritude, just putting things out the way they are.

COLLEGE PROFILES: What has being your parent’s view to your writing career?

OWOADE: That’s something. My father is late, and cant help but say I miss what his reaction would be on this road I have chosen. My mother knew I write but she’s not aware its now a career. I am amidst most of my relatives here in Ilorin, those that knew I write pretends they didn’t know and I found it better that way. I personally did not think its yet time for me to go around calling myself a
writer, I like presenting myself as a student and nothing more.

COLLEGE PROFILES: How do you cope with your studies?

OWOADE: I am doing well. History is a demanding area of study and because of that I have not been writing to much. Its not easy I must say, Combining writing with studying is not easy.

COLLEGE PROFILES: What are the achievements or recognitions your works has gained so far?

OWOADE: My poetry was recognized in The Anthology of world contemporary poets by Plum White Press in the U.S.A and after that on Kalahari Review, AfricanWriter.com, WordUp411 and recently in The New Black Magazine, I also appeared in African Eyeball Anthology.  Forthcoming are in Via Grape Vine II and An Anthology in Nigeria.

COLLEGE PROFILES: what do you think has helped you till this moment?

OWOADE: Nothing more than to make the best out of what I do. I am never satisfied with my poetry. Every poem I write is a step towards my ambition, I am working to write the best poem ever written by an African, that is why you can’t judge my poems by quantity. I may stop writing the day the I write that best poem.

COLLEGE PROFILES: who are your role models and mentors?

OWOADE: First, I love Wole Soyinka’s poetry, and that does not mean he’s my role model. I don’t have any role model. But I have those that I enjoy their poetry, among them is Kwesi Brew, Arthur Notje, J.P. Clerk, Niyi Osundare, and recently, Cliftonn, Gachagua, Ladan Osman and Tade Ipadeola among others. I have many people that motivate my young mind, among them are Shittu Fowora, Brigitte Poirson, Shachia Oryila and my teacher Sen. Ihenyen.

COLLEGE PROFILES: Fantastic!…..but Is there much monetary sacrifice to being a successful writer?

OWOADE: I am sure you know there are differences between a good and a successful writer. Being a good writer requires dedication, focus and understanding of the art, but being a successful writer requires more than that in my country. And this too: it depends on what you mean as a successful writer but from my own view, I don’t think anybody should write or should not write because of money

 COLLEGE PROFILES: Where do you see yourself in the next 5 Years?

OWOADE: Somewhere writing my Ph.d in African Studies.

COLLEGE PROFILES: What advice do you have for your fellow Undergraduates?

OWOADE: Its simple: master your mind it will take you where your dreams are.

COLLEGE PROFILES: what do you have to say about Colleges?

OWOADE: I have always believe colleges are places you go to learn about life, not necessarily where you go to learn what to do in life.

 COLLEGE PROFILES: What is your view about this blog?

OWOADE: You are doing a good job. It’s good to see youths promoting youths.

COLLEGE PROFILES: Thanks you so much for your time MR OWOADE.

OWOADE: You are welcome sir.
Collegeprofilez

Collegeprofilez

1 comment:

  1. Nice seeing someone else bearing my name "OWOADE ADEWALE, and doing well

    ReplyDelete

Please ask questions or share your views.

Powered by Blogger.